"You never write anything pleasant about the Mets," I was accused.
Bruce from Bayside, Queens writes in:
"Don't you have anything nice to say? You're always whining. It's practically as though you will never be happy with the team so why do you even bother? There are a lot of other writers who actually write NICE things and remember the GOOD times. You? Never."
I wouldn't have taken notice to such a cruel (and slightly accurate) comment but whenever someone indirectly calls me a 'Jet fan,' I take it personally. Do I really complain that much? Do I make the Mets sound worse off than they really are? Well, if so, that accusation can be counteracted with some happy thoughts now, can't it?
Here is a list of all the positive things happening in Queens:
1) The chances of the Mets collapsing 3 years in a row are real slim. Really really slim. I think.
2) Jersey sales are expected to be higher than the previous 2 years (and that was due to recalls claiming that the jerseys were "choking hazards"). Go figure.
3) Endy Chavez did make a nice catch. Twice.
4) Aaron who?
5) We one-handedly took on the responsibility of supporting 35% of Minor League Baseball. That's commendable.
6) Yup. Heilman gets another shout out. I am really excited about that move. (On a similar note, I would say the Curse of the Cubs has now been lifted. As the story goes, The Billy Goat curse was supposedly placed on the Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game at the Cubs' home ground of Wrigley Field because his pet goat's odor was bothering other fans. With the acquisition of Mr. Heilman, the Goat has regained entry. Chicago Cubs? 2009 World Series Champions.)
7) Murphy ('s law)
8) Pedro! (Paid...Now Go!)
9) Felipe Alou is NOT going to be our everyday left fielder anymore. (Not that he ever was. Good luck with the knees.)
10) Yes, I know it was Moises. It's a joke. Sheesh.
11) Mets.com reports "Hernandez is on the Mets". Livan? Keith? El Duque? Spare us! (Happy thoughts!...right...right...I'm sorry).
12) Jose Reyes might bat third. (Um, why is that a good thing?)
13) We re-signed Jose Valentin! Rumor has it that Julio Franco might rejoin the club so I think we'll be all set then.
14) Oliver Perez was quoted by The Tampa Tribune as saying, "Tell the Phillies - we are the team to beat up on." I don't know what is worse. Having him speak English or having him speak at all. Just pitch Oli, like a good boy. Shhh....Quiet....Good.
Is that good enough, Bruce? I was going to come up with more happy thoughts but I gotta go watch K-Rod in the World Baseball Classic. G-d knows he's going to pull something or other.
Long live 1986!