Hernandez Plays Left Field

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Livan isn't the only Hernandez who plays other positions...
In the top of the eighth inning of Sunday's game Nationals vs. Cubs game, interim manager Jim Riggleman inserted Anderson Hernandez in left field, replacing Adam Dunn.

It was the first time Hernandez, an infielder by trade, had ever played the outfield. He didn't see any action that day.

Hernandez has lost significant playing time at second base because of the emergence of Alberto Gonzalez, so Riggleman is looking for other ways to play Hernandez.

"As we look more at Gonzalez in the infield, I'm just trying to find some ways where Hernandez can not only be used in the infield but maybe go in [the outfield] as a defensive replacement," said Riggleman. "He has not really played the outfield, but his skills will tell you there is no reason he can't catch a fly ball and throw it."

How does Hernandez feel about playing a new position?

"I didn't know they were going to put me out there [so quickly], but I have to do it. I just go and try to do my job and do my best," Hernandez said. "I will do whatever they want me to do."

...What? Do you really want to read about the 4th place Mets who are 10 games out of first place...

1 comments:

Simcha said...

Hernandez, boy do I miss that guy...