The Mets Barked Up The Wrong Tree

Friday, July 10, 2009

Do the Mets have their own curse? Or is it just the Cubs?

The Billy Goat curse was supposedly placed on the Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game at the Cubs' home ground of Wrigley Field because his pet goat's odor was bothering other fans. He was outraged and declared, "Them Cubs, they aren't gonna win no more," which has been interpreted to mean that there would never be another World Series game played at Wrigley Field.

In 2007, I, Eli, attempted to get into Shea Stadium and I had brought a good friend along (no, it wasn't Pet Day). Needless to say, this "friend" wasn't the human type. Don't get me wrong - he loves humans; he just aint one himself. I had bought two tickets for that day's game featuring the New York Mets and the Florida Marlins - one for me, and one for my dog, Oldie. I was quite giddy being that it was the last game of the season and a solid performance today would perhaps propel us into the post-season. Oldie and myself were both looking forward to it.

But something happened that day that would make Tom Seaver roll over in his grave. Wait, a second - he isn't dead. Okay, IF he was...

Shea Stadium security would not let us in.

Yeah, you heard me right. Actually, you didn't. They granted ME entry, but Oldie was a different story. They were quoted as saying, "He isn't allowed in here, those are the rules, sir" or "Can't talk? Can't walk in." It was an absolute outrage. How would they not allow a harmless pet into their park? Isn't a baseball game a family event? I swore never to return (to Shea) and shouted that the Mets would "never see post-season time again" as I walked with my best friend back to the bus stop.

Sadly, Oldie passed away last June at a young age of 56 (dog years). Those who met my tail-wagging friend know that he was a bigger fan of the game than anyone reading this Mets blog, anyone who has ever attended a baseball game and you can bet your bottom dollar, anyone guarding a stadium in Queens.

Oldie, you will be missed, and God knows you're watching every game from the best seat in the house...

Heaven.

4 comments:

Ralph C said...

Is the dog named Livan?

wario said...

i remember oldie well, or as we used to call him ollie, aparently the mets sign in the clubhouse reads, " if you can walk your in".....(as in ball 4)

Skeptic Al said...

Sorry to hear that Eli...it must have been tough losing such a close companian. Now I understand your need for a new roomate.It must be lonely rolling over at 3 in the morning and not having Oldie at your side.

Whats this business of if they dont talk they cant walk in. I have sat at Shea on many occasions next to two legged fellas who can't talk nor walk.

Great read!!!

Eli From Brooklyn said...

Lol, guys. Good stuff.

Al, the fella you were probably sitting next to was...me.

Wario, I wouldn't be surprised if you were in the Mets clubhouse (in uniform). You'd be a great asset to the lineup.

Ralph, his name was Oldie. Livan's a cousin.