Manuel & Minaya Called Safe

Monday, July 20, 2009

Jon Heyman reports,

Mets general manager Omar Minaya and manager Jerry Manuel have been reassured by club higher-ups that their jobs are not in jeopardy, league sources told

Minaya and Manuel have come under public scrutiny and even attack during the Mets' horrific run, but both men were informed in recent weeks that they shouldn't worry about their positions in conversations with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon.

Last year Minaya signed a three-year contract extension that begins in 2010, while Manuel's contract only guarantees 2010. Their reassurances mean both will be in their current positions at the start of next year. The Wilpons have long had a strong relationship with Minaya.

People familiar with the discussions say that while Wilpon is disappointed with the season, he told both men he is committed to them and expressed his hope that they don't let any worries affect how they go about their jobs. Wilpon wanted both to understand that they were "all in this together," league sources said, and that the only thing they need to do is work even harder.

...Manuel laughed and claimed that "he wished the report was true, wasn't."....Manuel also said in response to the 'You're Safe' phone call, "I never got that call."...But then David Lennon of Newsday wrote, "Not sure why Manuel denied it, but I (Lennon) was told that yes, J. Wilpon did indeed assure both Jerry and Omar that their jobs are safe."...

...I don't know what to believe...I don't know why I care...

Update - 10:49 PM:

Minaya publicly stated this report is true. In other words, Manuel lied.


Skeptic Al said...

You said I said...too complicated for me. SI is responsible for this mess (remember the post about the SI cover prediction) so they should just focus on other stories and get off of my Mets.

Eli From Brooklyn said...

I edited the he said paragraph. Try again, Al.