The Feud Between K-Rod and "That Other Guy"

Monday, June 15, 2009

.
Brian Bruney was asked about the Yankees winning Friday night's game on Luis Castillo's dropped pop-up. It turned into a rant against K-Rod and the closer's fist-pumping ways.

"Couldn't have happened to a better guy on the mound, either," Bruney told the Hunterdon County Democrat. "He's got a tired act. He gets what he deserves, man. I just don't like watching the guy pitch. I think it's embarrassing."

Rodriguez then said, "Instead of sending a message through the paper, next time when he sees me at Citi Field, come up and say it to my face. Don't be saying that to the media. I don't even know who that guy is. Someone in Double A. I believe he's never pitched one full season. He's always been on the DL, that's all I know, so he better keep his mouth shut and do his job and not worry about anyone else.

"If it was somebody big, I might pay attention to that, but someone like that? It doesn't bother me. If it was someone big like Mariano [Rivera], someone that has been around and is good at what he does, I would respect that from him."

Bruney had returned to the Stadium by the time Friday's game ended and he stood by his earlier comments, which had spread like wildfire around the Internet.

"You know what? I learned to play the game a different way, that's all I can say," Bruney said. "You won't see me do that, the way he acts, you won't see that. But it doesn't matter. Guy's doing his job, he's had a great career, set the saves record. So it doesn't matter what I think. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that but, again, he doesn't know who I am, so it doesn't matter."

But K-Rod got his wish earlier than hoped. Yesterday, he met Bruney in the outfield during pregame drills and went ballistic. Francisco Rodriguez appeared ready to see if he could take the "closer" role to another level.



Mike Pelfrey and Jose Veras interceded, keeping the Subway Series from becoming a three-ring Subway Circus.

"It's over," Rodriguez said after the Yankees mauled the Mets 15-0. "Turn the page. That's it."

Bruney indicated he ventured to the outfield to speak with K-Rod and perhaps offer an apology for his comments.

But before the injured Yankee reliever could say anything, Rodriguez started pointing at him and screaming from several feet away.

"I saw [K-Rod] walking with attitude and asking guys, 'Is it him?' " Pelfrey said. "The next thing I know, he was in [Bruney's] face."

Rodriguez was resistant at first to leaving the scene, but the combination of Pelfrey and Veras as buffers helped ensure no punches were thrown.

Neither Rodriguez nor Bruney would divulge what was said. But Bruney said he's glad the two sides cleared the air.

"That showed me a lot," Bruney said. "I respect a man that comes at you like that. In my opinion it's over.

"I probably shouldn't have said what I said [Saturday], but I made that mistake and learned from it. The guy has had a great career. I don't have anything at this point to hang my hat on. I don't have a World Series title like he does. I don't have the save record like he does. For me it was nothing personal against Frankie. I've heard he is a good dude."

This is the second media feud the Mets have been in over the past couple of weeks. The first, ignited when Beltran ripped the Pirates while ripping his own team and then furthered when Adam LaRoche ripped Beltran, wasn't so big, since it involved the Pirates.

But now, with 3 more games left between the Mets and Yankees, there could be some fuel in this one. Especially if Bruney actually pitches in one of the three games at Citi Field next month.

Beltran was informed of Bruney's words, then K-Rod's.

"I agree with [Rodriguez]," he said with a smile, avoiding the latest trash talk between his club and another.

2 comments:

Skeptic Al said...

"It's over," Rodriguez said after the Yankees mauled the Mets 15-0. "Turn the page. That's it."

I's Rodriguez talking about the feud or the series. No kidding he's kcontent with turning the page.

Bet you if the Mets won 15 to nada it wouldnt be over!!

Eli From Brooklyn said...

Good point, Al.

Not sure why "I's" is a contraction but okay. :)