Nieve Wins Award

Thursday, June 25, 2009

In 2008, Fernando Tatis received the 2008 Players Choice Award for Comeback Player of the National League. The way Fernando is playing in 2009 - he's making a case to win it again in 2010. (Think about that for a little bit).

In 2009, the Mets might have another "Comeback Player" on their team (although this one is coming back from the Land of Nowhere). Surprise surprise, his name is Fernando, as well.

Meet Fernando Nieve.

Now no one can be certain that Mr. Nieve will walk away with such honors but if he keeps this performance up - he can forget the Comeback Player of the Year award and get his glove open to accept a Cy Young.

Getting ahead of myself, yeah? Well, the last person, according to WFAN, to win his first 3 starts as a Met was Jorge Sosa in 2007. (We all know how that turned out).

Whether Fernando wins his next 17 starts and finishes the season off with a mediocre 20-0 is yet to be seen but what is seen is that shiny new award, given by Mets fans, that prominently hangs on Nieve's living room wall.



You go, Fernando...

...and I don't mean downhill...

6 comments:

Kyle Robble said...

He's been a saint and I do not see the Mets moving him out of the rotation once (and if) Ollie and Maine come back. Redding's been doing a nice job as well so it's tough to move Tim also.

Hard choices to make but good problems to have.

Anonymous said...

Like they were sayin today, he has good stuff... not like he's doing it like on guts or something. 92+ mph fastball and some nice off-speed stuff and he can really fool teams, especially when he cranks it up to 94-96 like he did against Ankiel...

Eli From Brooklyn said...

I'll agree.

I just wonder why he wasn't doing this with Houston. You think it's one of those Heathe Bell deals where a guy is not happy with a place? Lol - he only had 10 career starts before coming to the Mets so it's not like he unpacked his bags anywhere...

Either who, keep it up, F-Niev!

wario said...

Can you hear the drums fernando?
I remember long ago another starry night like this
In the firelight fernando
You were humming to yourself and softly strumming your guitar
I could hear the distant drums
And sounds of bugle calls were coming from afar

They were closer now fernando
Every hour every minute seemed to last eternally
I was so afraid fernando
We were young and full of life and none of us prepared to die
And Im not ashamed to say
The roar of guns and cannons almost made me cry

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
Theres no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, fernando

Now were old and grey fernando
And since many years I havent seen a rifle in your hand
Can you hear the drums fernando?
Do you still recall the frightful night we crossed the rio grande?
I can see it in your eyes
How proud you were to fight for freedom in this land

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
Theres no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, fernando

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright, fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty, fernando
Though I never thought that we could lose
Theres no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, fernando
Yes, if I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, fernando...

wario said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnnZwNKmyIo
a tribute
to all my fernado's out there.. tatis, nieve, martienez.

Luigi said...

Lol, I'm touched, Wario.